Monday, September 10, 2012

Relaxing Dinner Conversation


Sometimes, I get so busy I never leave my apartment. Most people would take that statement and assume I'm either a recluse and don't like people or I'm a workaholic. The truth is I'm neither in comparison to some of my classmates. I enjoy a good time just as much as the next person, but I'm also realistic when it comes to getting things done. I'm here for medical school and that comes first, unless of course I'm procrastinating in which case everything else comes first. 

So, when I do get to go somewhere it's kind of a big deal. Even going to lunch or down town is a reason for celebration! 


This past weekend I finally got to go out for the first time since I've been back.  It was great to finally let my hair down (figuratively...my hair was in a pony-tail). My friends and I headed off for sushi and a walk around Stary Renyk (old market square). I had beef teriyaki not being much of a sushi person; though I have to admit they have a way of making raw fish look wonderfully appealing. One of my guy friends put away almost thirty small plates full of the stuff! 

The thing is despite the fact that there were six of us and no one wanted to talk about school. The main topic of conversation always seemed to about something school related. 

There was the general school related conversation: 

"How far have you read" "I think I'll finish that chapter by tomorrow and start the next"               "Do you think it'll be like the first test, I think it's a trap. They're going to get us."  "I'm going to the library tomorrow." "I don't like the library, it's too loud. All the Polish students are on there cell phones." 

And then there was the MEDICAL school related conversation:  

"CD4+ is with MHC class II right?" "I heard there's a question about a deficiency caused by eating too much goat cheese." (I have no idea what deficiency it could be). "What was the cause of death for that person in autopsy?" 

Yes, unfortunately much of our conversation could be  considered anything less than normal or appropriate for dinner conversation. I don't think we'd have anything to talk about if we weren't talking about school or complaining about Poland. Lucky for us, most people don't understand English when we're jabbering away so quickly. 

Like your conversations during dinner are any better... 

The big news is, that not only did I get to go to lunch this past weekend, but in two weeks I'm headed to Slovakia to see my step-mom in Bratislava. Lucky for me she comes to the European Union Competition for Young Scientists every year, and this year I can actually go! I just bought my ticket yesterday, so I'm ready to fly out! I'll post picts of course, but I just wanted to share how excited I am that I get to LEAVE and go on VACATION for three whole days!!!

Todays question: what is the strangest dinner conversation you've ever had?   

No comments:

Post a Comment