Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Month

Almost a month has passed since classes started and it's hard to believe that we'll be completely finished in 3 months.

Even so it's been a LONG month.

We've had otolaryngology (ear, nose, and throat), and then dermatology, and then after that infectious disease, and finally we're in neurology.

All of the classes have been pretty good. Though after doing electives in the US I feel like I'm a little kid again who everyone thinks needs her hand held. I've returned to the land of not letting students do anything.

Luckily, otolaryngology let us practice albeit on each other. Even if it was with equipment from the dark ages I think we all enjoyed the practice. It was a tad hilarious though because we used one of those old head mirrors and had to reflect light into the persons ear, nose or throat. The doctors here do use battery powered head lamps though so that was some consolation. I never did see or use an actual otoscope during the whole class though, which would be a tad annoying if I hadn't of used one virtually everyday on my electives back in the US. The fact that this was the first time they decided to teach us anything about the ear or doing an ear exam is doubly annoying, luckily I had a great mentor back in the States who helped me figure it out. Ears are kind of important!

The other classes were pretty much on par with what I've come to expect from my school. Hands off and very didactic. Which I appreciate, but at this point I think we're past the basics that they keep repeating. (I know the difference between a macule and a papule, thank you very much).

Neurology might be the one exception. Since we've just started it's hard to judge, but the teachers really seem like they want to teach and we have seen actual patients and have had time to practice examinations (which would have been nice to know during my time in the ER a few months ago!!!) Granted our best practice comes from practicing on each other. It's easier to get the order and flow down in English before trying to either have someone translate it or trying to translate it yourself.

That's all here. Not too much excitement going on which is why I haven't written.

And finally I leave you with something profound that one of the otolaryngologists told us as he prepared to show us how to examine someones nose.

"Be professional, dress nicely, sit up straight, keep your speech appropriate. From the minute they see you and know that you're their doctor, they're watching. You will be judged. Never forget it."


No comments:

Post a Comment